Interviews conducted by a certified child forensic interviewer. These interviews are videotaped and used by the professionals tasked with investigating the case.
Victim advocacy provided by professionals who can help answer questions, connect families with services, provide information on court proceedings, and track cases.
Medical services that may include physical exams, sexual assault evidence collection, and testing (and in some cases, treatment) for sexually transmitted infections or pregnancy. Our pediatric abuse medical team is a service of Primary Children’s Safe and Healthy Families.
Mental health services that may include assessing risk for post-traumatic stress disorder, suicide safety planning, connection with professionals specializing in trauma-informed therapy, and support groups for survivors and caregivers.
Community outreach that provides information on topics like child abuse, child sexual abuse, consent, and the role of parents and community members in protecting children and reporting abuse.
- Utah Children’s Justice Centers: Statewide statistics and contact information for local Children’s Justice Centers. https://www.utahcjc.org/
- Utah Division of Child and Family Services: Information on services, including Child Protective Services, Foster Care, and reporting child abuse. https://dcfs.utah.gov
- Prevent Child Abuse Utah: Programs and resources on child abuse prevention. https://pcautah.org/
- Defend Innocence: Facts and resources for child abuse prevention. https://defendinnocence.org/
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN): Information on trauma-informed care and services for traumatized children and their families. https://www.nctsn.org/
- Safe UT: Chat and Tip Line app with 24/7 access to supportive or crisis counseling, suicide prevention, and referral services. https://healthcare.utah.edu/uni/safe-ut/
- Family Support Center of Washington County: Crisis nursery and respite care. https://www.fsc4kids.org/
- Dove Center: Shelter, advocacy, and counseling for adult survivors of sexual assault and/or domestic violence. https://www.dovecenter.org
- 5-4-3-2-1 Calming Technique: Five-step grounding technique to reduce or relieve symptoms of anxiety, trauma triggers, and other unwanted emotions or thoughts. https://www.evergreenyfs.org/Youth%20Anxiety%20Handouts.pdf
- Elmo Belly Breathe: Clever song teaches a belly breathing calming technique for young children. https://www.google.com/search?q=belly+breathe+elmo&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS857US857&oq=belly+breathe+el&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l3j69i61.10831j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
- PTSD Coach Online: Free tools for helping older kids and adults manage symptoms of stress common after a trauma. https://www.ptsd.va.gov/apps/ptsdcoachonline/default.htm
MY3: Free app for staying connected when having thoughts of suicide. http://my3app.org/
Relaxation Through Visualization Videos
- Visualization: Introduction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHa2sV2mQw&feature=youtu.be
- Visualization: The forest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UD8pwjQ-nc&feature=youtu.be
- Visualization: The country road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAOCXZnkhG4&feature=youtu.be
- Visualization: The beach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6Xyj1iNZU&feature=youtu.be